By Robert F. Jones
The younger clerk recounts lifestyles and manners within the parts the place he lived and labored: the Pacific Northwest, Hawaii, Russian Alaska, and Spanish dominions in California and Mexico.
Read or Download Astorian adventure: the journal of Alfred Seton, 1811-1815 PDF
Best research & publishing guides books
Audio system of British and American English show a few awesome ameliorations of their use of grammar. during this distinctive survey, John Algeo considers questions similar to: •Who lives on a highway, and who lives in a highway? •Who takes a tub, and who has a tub? •Who says Neither do I, and who says Nor do I?
Dutch Sailmaker and sailor Jan Struys' (c. 1629-c. 1694) account of his a number of in a foreign country travels grew to become a bestseller after its first ebook in Amsterdam in 1676, and used to be later translated into English, French, German and Russian. This new publication depicts the tale of its author's existence in addition to the 1st singular research of the Struys textual content.
Are you suffering to fulfill your coursework time cut-off dates? discovering it tough to familiarize yourself together with your essay issues? Does your writing occasionally lack constitution and magnificence? do you want to enhance your grades? this article covers every thing a pupil must learn about writing essays and papers within the humanities and social sciences.
In his trademark casual, irreverent, and interesting kind, popular library author and speaker Walt Crawford attracts on his wealth of expertise as he assures would-be librarian-writers that they rather well may need whatever worthy announcing. continuing matter-of-factly, he dissects what it particularly takes to put in writing for library colleagues, countering conventional "received wisdom," whereas wondering the "powers that be.
- The 2013 Restaurant, Food & Beverage Market Research Handbook
- The Harbrace Guide to Writing, Concise Edition
- The Cambridge Companion to Travel Writing (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
- From Where You Dream: The Process of Writing Fiction
- Looking for Information: A Survey of Research on Information Seeking, Needs, and Behavior (Library and Information Science)
Additional resources for Astorian adventure: the journal of Alfred Seton, 1811-1815
New York, 1838. William Clark's map of the mouth of the Columbia, c. 1806. Courtesy of the American Philosophical Society Library, Philadelphia. Neg. number 913. Page x View of Fort Astoria, from West Shore Magazine, February 22, 1890. Oregon Historical Society, #OrHi 691. The Northwest at the Time of Lewis and Clark, 1805-1806, from Alvin M. , The Nez Perce Indians and the Opening of the Northwest. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1965. Reprinted with permission of Alvin M. Josephy, Jr. Count Alexander Baranov.
234. 15. "Notarial Certificate, January 12, 1818, John C. S. Dept. of State, Message from the President of the United States. . : Gales & Seaton, 1823), pp. , 9, No. ], The Old Merchants of New York, 5 vols. (New York: Carlton, 1863), I, 305,308. 16. City Directory, 1828. 17. Washington Irving, The Adventures of Captain Bonneville, edd. Robert A. Rees and Alan Sandy (Boston: Twayne, 1977), pp. xxxv-xxxix. 18. Washington Irving, Astoria, or, Anecdotes of an Enterprise Beyond the Rocky Mountains, ed.
With much labor, the site was cleared, and buildings, surrounded by a log palisade, constructed. Gardens were planted and the livestock which had been purchased in Hawaii either set to grazing or, in the case of the hogs, set free (to become a serious nuisance within a short time). The gardens, tended by Hawaiian natives taken on in the islands, did well, especially turnips and potatoes. The livestock never contributed much Page 17 to the men's diet and they subsisted mainly on game and the yearly run of salmon and other fish from the river.
Astorian adventure: the journal of Alfred Seton, 1811-1815 by Robert F. Jones